Nursery - Foundation Stage
Children are born with a natural desire to explore and learn and in our Foundation Stage at Oxford Road we take our lead from what the children are interested in at that moment. We employ a 'planning in the moment' approach to allow us to do this. Adults join the children in their play and look for the teachable moment where we can introduce new skills and support them on their unique learning journey. Foundation Stage at the Oxford Road incorporates a morning Nursery, afternoon Nursery and Reception class.
We follow the Early Years Foundation Stage framework which outlines 7 areas of development.The Prime Areas of Learning are:
- Communication and Language - Speaking, Undertsnading and Listening and Attention
- Physical Development - Moving and Handling, Health and Self Care
- Personal, Social and Emotional Developmment - Managing feelings and behaviour, Self-confidence and Self awareness, Making relationships.
The Specific Areas of Learning are:
- Mathematics - Number, Shape, space and measure
- Literacy - Reading and Writing
- Understanding the World - People and Communities, The World, Technology
- Expressive Arts and Design - Using media and materials, Being imaginative
In our Foundation Stage we think that encouraging children to be independant is really important. When children learn that they can 'have a go' at things themselves they are developing characteristics of effective learning as well as developing their self confidence. Independance starts with something small, why not try encouraging your child to put their coat on for themselves.
Here is Olivia showing how the children at Oxford Road learn how to put on their coats all by themselves using the 'hands in, hands up' method...
What have we been doing in Foundation Stage?
We're learning the story of Brown Bear, Brown Bear What can you see?
We love to listen, share and read stories in Nursery. Infact, we love them so much that we are learning the story of Brown Bear, Brown Bear what can you see? It's a story by Bill Martin Jr and Eric Carle.